Thursday, December 11, 2008

Craft and Flip: First Bites

I am not a chef groupie. When you work with chefs for a living you quickly realize that they are people just like us. So I leave the celebrity chef worshipping to others. Then how did I end up at both Craft and Flip on their opening nights with all the other sycophants? Coincidence and happenstance, my friends. I swear.

Craft exceeded my expectations which were admittedly low after (not) enjoying many other "celebrity chef" restaurants in town, both recently and in the past. It's a great looking restaurant and the food was spot on. Being with a group of six I tasted over 20 items and nothing failed. My favorite dish: braised beef short ribs. Fork tender, juicy, full of flavor - I believe the whole table (except the vegetarian) proclaimed it one of the best dishes we tried.






Flip was also a winner. The restaurant is hip and fun and the food was delish. We tried the lamb burger, bun mi burger and pork belly with cheese burger. And the fries. And the nutella milkshake. But the winner was: sweet potato tots with blue cheese foam. YUM.






Now that I think about it, the Craft short ribs and the Flip tots would make a great combination. Maybe Chefs Tom and Richard can talk about that. I might even consider becoming a groupie if that happened!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sweet potater tots? Nutella milkshake? Oh man, I wish this place was in California!