Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Holiday Wines and Decor at Toulouse

Last night, I attended the Tower Wine & Spirits Holiday Wine Dinner at Toulouse restaurant. I thought Tower Wine & Spirits and Toulouse did a phenomenal job of putting together an interesting and useful wine dinner. Tower compared one New World and one Old World wine with each course, and Toulouse pulled together a great menu that represented pretty much everything you would eat during the holidays. By the end of the dinner, I walked away knowing exactly what wines I wanted to serve this Thanksgiving.

As a unique twist, Toulouse also had Cindy Dawson from Smith Ace Hardware demonstrate some simple and beautiful holiday table decor between each course. I loved coming away with a better knowledge of wines and a great idea for decorating my table! I would show you pictures but it was so dark that none of them came out very clearly. Happily, at least I'm able to share the menu and wines we tried!


Reception
Sonoma Vineyards Sauvignon Blanc
Borgo Conbenti Pinot Grigio (my favorite)
Assorted Cheeses, Fruit, and Crackers

First Course
La Solatia Tuscan Chardonnay (my favorite - very surprising!)
Il Leo Chianti Superiore
Grilled Halibut with Mushroom Ravioli served with a Radicchio and Leek Sauce


Second Course
Davis Bynum Russian River Chardonnay (fabulous with the turkey!)
Davis Bynum Russian River Pinot Noir
Pan-Seared Turkey Breast w/ Serrano Ham Gravy
Baked Ham with stewed apples & strawberries

Third Course
Rodney Strong Alexander Valley Cabernet (these were both great wines but this cab had so much berry flavor, I couldn't resist it)
Ruffino Chianti Classico Reserva (Tan Label)
Water Cracker breaded Lamb Tenderloin with Sun dried Tomato and Basil Stuffing and topped
in a Rosemary Cream Sauce.


Fourth Course
Inniskillin Iced Sparkling Wine (I am not a fan of dessert wines but this went great with the cobbler)
Rodney Strong Knotty Vines (104 year old vines) Zinfandel
Peach-Raspberry Cobbler with Goat Cheese Ice Cream

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the Inniskillin sparkling Ice Wine- The combo of the sweet and and the bubbles pairs great with fruit based desserts.